Do you roll your eyes when you read reviews that note "dark cherry, brown sugar, and leather," and think, there is NO WAY that someone is tasting all of that in their bourbon? I did too, until I realized that it was simply a lack of experience, and that I could train my nose to find the nuances in bourbon. Sensory scientists have proven that over 80% of what we taste comes from what we smell, and that's why I created these bourbon nosing kits. By simply training your nose to become more familiar with these aromas, you'll be able to more easily detect them in a glass of bourbon.
How it works:
- Pour some bourbon in a glass and swirl it around gently.
- Nose (smell) one of the elements, then nose your bourbon.
- Take a small sip and “chew” the bourbon around in your mouth for 5-10 seconds before swallowing.
- Nose the element and the bourbon again. The aromas present should be more amplified now.
- Take note of what aromas you find in the bourbon you’re nosing. If it smells sweet, can you get more specific? Maybe it’s more like vanilla, honey, or brown sugar. If it's spicy, is it a cinnamon spice or black pepper spice?
- Repeat the process with each element to see what other nuances you can find in your glass
Other nosing kits cost hundreds of dollars and use synthetic aromas made in a lab. These kits are made with the REAL ingredients for the most authentic aroma.
The elements in this kit represent the wood, grain, sweet, spice and fruit/floral categories commonly found in a bourbon tasting wheel. Includes 18 elements in screw top containers and instructions for how to get the most out of the kit, all held in a convenient travel case.
- Vanilla (bean)
- Caramel Honey Cocoa (powder)
- Brown Sugar Cherry (dried)
- Tobacco (premium pipe tobacco)
- Leather (100% genuine leather)
- Black Pepper
- Mint (crushed leaves)
- Peanut (powder)
Bring one of these kits to your next bourbon or whiskey tasting and take your conversations to the next level!
"This is a great addition for any bourbon lover. Using this kit has helped me articulate what I am tasting in the bourbon. I would highly recommend them!" - Bobby C.
"This kit is great for those who enjoy bourbon and are looking to take that next step. It helps you identify specific elements in the nose and reconcile those with the tastes on your palate." Stuart G.
"If you are new to bourbon, or a long time lover of it, this kit will help expand your palate and really help you identify what you are drinking! I highly recommend this product." Scott M.
"Love this kit. I've never been fantastic at identifying specific elements in a bourbon, and while I'm still not awesome, this kit is a fun way to improve." Chad J.