Curious what bourbon nosing kits are all about? Then the Bourbon Nosing Sample Kit is for you! Featuring elements from each of the categories on the bourbon tasting wheel, the Sample Kit includes 6 of the most common aromas found in bourbon: caramel, brown sugar, oak, corn, black pepper, and cherry.
Sensory scientists have proven that over 80% of what we taste comes from what we smell, and that's why I created these nosing kits. By simply training your nose to become more familiar with the aromas, you'll be able to more easily detect them in a glass of bourbon.
How it works:
- Pour some bourbon in a glass and swirl it around gently.
- Nose (smell) one of the elements, then nose your bourbon.
- Take a small sip and “chew” the bourbon around in your mouth for 5-10 seconds before swallowing.
- Nose the element and the bourbon again. The aromas present should be more amplified now.
- Take note of what aromas you find in the bourbon you’re nosing. If it smells sweet, can you get more specific? Maybe it’s more like caramel or brown sugar. If it's spicy, is it a cinnamon spice or black pepper spice?
- Repeat the process with each element to see what other nuances you can find in your glass
Other nosing kits cost hundreds of dollars and use synthetic aromas made in a lab. These kits are made with the REAL ingredients for the most authentic aroma.
*Not for consumption, tasting note journal and other items pictured are not included.